Low cost Va car insurance rates can save thousands of dollars per year on your premium. The difference can be so substantial, that over time, it will almost pay for the cost of a new vehicle. But how do you find these prices and what companies offer them? With more than 39 years of experience in the property and casualty business, we review and research prices of all carriers to ensure you pay the lowest premium. Many money-saving discounts are offered, without compromising quality and dependable service..
It’s important to understand that not all carriers offer low rates in every part of the state. Whether its car, health or home insurance, all of the top companies have different offers throughout Virginia. And while in some areas prices rates are low, in other areas they are higher. Sometimes, a difference of living five miles away can result in a change of hundreds of dollars per year (or more) in your premium. Carriers with costly out-of-pocket expenses should not be utilized. Loyalty rewards programs and stable pricing is always an important consideration with property and casualty carriers.
We never assume that a single carrier will always offer the lowest prices. Regional local carriers are often considered, especially in smaller cities. When purchasing or leasing a vehicle, the cost of insuring the car (or truck) must always be considered. Although smaller compact cars may feature lower costs, bigger SUVs will raise your premium much more. If you rarely drive your vehicle, pay-for-mile plans are an alternative that can be considered.
What We Do For You
Our expertise is to match you with the cheapest offers in your area, while taking into consideration the coverages you want and what impact your cars and driving record have on that the top companies. It’s highly possible (this is hypothetical) that Geico in Virginia might save you $500 per year in the Richmond area, but cost $250 more per year in Charlottesville. Or, for example, Progressive might offer great rates in the Southern portion of Virginia while their rates in Fairfax are quite high. Again…these scenarios are hypothetical.
We also understand that comparing and possibly switching policies can be time-consuming and a bit challenging. We take the hard parts and simplify them, so if you do choose to change carriers, we'll help you every step along the way. Typically, there are no penalties, although changing on the six-month semiannual date of the policy is the most convenient. If you move within the state, you can keep the same carrier, although a change in rating territory may alter the premium.
The purpose of shopping for cheap Virginia car insurance is to find inexpensive policies quickly, without too much hassle and without paying any fees. And when you provide your zip code at the top of the page, you’ll notice we have pre-selected the companies that will save you the most money, based upon your location. If, for example, Company A has a 30% increase, you may see them removed from the list. However, several companies usually offer the lowest rates each year, and tend to avoid unexpected large price increases.
We also know that sometimes, price reductions are only temporary, and may not apply to you. For example, if Liberty Mutual reduces their rates by 25% for teenage drivers that are good students, of course, that will not help you if you are retired with no children on your policy. The same concept applies to a company that adds a 15% reduction to anyone over the age of 55. If you are 43-years-old, obviously, that discount will not help (or hurt) you. Also, a carrier that awards a discount to customers with excellent credit, will not help a driver with an adverse credit history.
Cheap Does Not Mean Low Quality
We also take very seriously the quality of the auto policy you purchase. It’s extremely important that the insurer you choose meets the following strict five criteria points that we have established:
· They must be a recognized company with a proven track record, such as Geico, State Farm, Allstate, Progressive etc… If we never heard of the company, you probably won’t see their rates anywhere on our website. If they regularly rank low in handling complaints, the carrier will be excluded. If prices are volatile, we often will prefer to see several years of stable rates before recommending the carrier. Companies that are entering the Virginia Marketplace for the first time may initially offer extremely competitive rates. But often, large rate increases are announced within 12-24 months.
· The company must have a solid history of paying claims on a timely basis. We don’t believe it is right to recommend a company that offers low rates, but makes you wait six weeks to get your car repaired. An adjuster should be able to contact you within 24 hours and view the vehicle in a timely manner. Or, a phone app should be available that provides immediate service. As a consumer, you have specific rights, and many of them can be found in the "Va Know Your Rights Guide." Several of these rights may offer immediate help.
· We don’t want to see you insured with a carrier that’s going to quickly raise your rates as soon as you have been a customer for a few months. So we review car insurance rates in Virginia and their history of rate increases and decreases. Although premiums are guaranteed for a specific time period, a substantial raise in prices must be avoided. An "A" rating from A.M. Best Company is helpful, and also a low complaint ratio from the State DOI. Typically, larger carriers have very attractive complaint ratios with a very responsive claims department.
· Their rates may be cheap, but what about the policy? Is towing or roadside assistance coverage included? Will the substitute transportation benefit be enough to pay for your loaner car? We’ll check these out for you. The cost to use a loaner vehicle is much more expensive than it was 10-15 years ago. Generally, $20-$25 per day of coverage is needed. If replacing a larger SUV or luxury car, up to $50 per day of coverage may be needed.
· What if you need assistance and you’re out of the area? Perhaps you have an accident outside of Virginia? Can you easily reach someone that can help you? Is there a 24/7 phone number with a LIVE person that will be available? Can you appeal decisions you don't agree with? Is there an available app that allows you to easily file claims and make changes to your policy? Are instant ID cards available?
Another important consideration is to make sure our customers have access to many (or all) of the top insurers on our website and not just a single company. When you get your free quote, you can choose the company(s) you wish to receive prices from. And of course, you can view multiple quotes from many top carriers. This process is very easy, as all you need to do is provide your ZIP code in top or bottom of this page and you will be given instant results.
There’s an old saying…”talk is cheap.” On our website…Virginia car insurance rates are really cheap!
Edward Harris is the owner and founder of this website. Since 1980, he has been helping individuals and families with their car insurance needs. During that time, he has handled more than 10,000 applications and continues to provide service for thousands of clients.
Ed is married with two children and enjoys tennis, golf, and international politics. Reluctantly, he bowls once every 10 years.
Ed Harris' articles are listed on this page. Enjoy !